Tuesday 11 August 2015

Spot The Differences

The apple never falls too far from the tree.
We don't just inherit a similar body structure or hair color or diabetes from our parents; it's so much more than that. I find with an increasing frequency the things that are nature's way of shadowing my genetic past. The silences that have haunted my father and his brothers where conversations should have flown and filled the growing chasms seem to have casually trickled through into my life down those unassuming strands of DNA. I find myself reacting the way my mother would to an act of unkindness, except that perhaps evolution allowed for a chromosomal mutation and exaggerated my responses by a few degrees.
When confronted with a fake smile and small talk, my face attains the same sense of discomfort that my mother wears in similar circumstances. And moments of joy and small victories bring out happiness and contentment that is the direct product of my parents' marriage, albeit my own genetic matter seems to have added a horsy little laugh to such moments.
You don't need a mirror to be able to see similarities. It's all in the blood; even if we are destined to discover our tribe ourselves, even if we must raid the four corners of the world to find our match.

No comments:

Post a Comment